01 09 10
expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Closets? Where do you start?

It's Sunday morning and your husband is needing a shirt ironed because the one that matches the tie he wants to wear was found on the floor in the back of the closet, your son's belt is nowhere to be found, your girl's dress is to short due to a growth spurt, and you cannot find the matching knee high that you have to wear.  Do you have a similar story for a Sunday morning? These type of mornings can be somewhat avoided if we plunge into the task of CLOSET CLEANING!

 I can honestly say, this is nothing to do with me, but something the Lord instilled in me since I was little! I LOVE to organize!!! I know, for real? I would much rather organize something than sit on the couch and watch a movie. However, my body does sit and relax often, so no sympathy needed. I have sweet memories of getting paid to organize and clean my siblings, and yes, my parents closets. I loved seeing the end results. I grew up with color coordinated drawers and closets. No, I haven't the time nor sanity for that to be carried through completely today, but there are some organizational things that I think I have instilled in my little ones. I know many moms think, "behind closed doors nothing matters." But, really, I think if we were all honest, when your entire home is in order it makes life run so much more smoothly.

So, how do you go about tackling such a huge job?

Here are a few things that I do:

  1. Find Organizational tools to help you. Whenever I am out at Goodwill, yard sales, or even at the curb, I keep my eyes peeled for the rubbermaid drawer sets, or any stackable items that could help in keeping things looking neat and tidy. Currently, I am looking for something for my coat closet to hold extra purses, gloves, etc. They are quite expensive new from the stores, so look elsewhere. Baskets are very helpful too and can easily be found in many locations.
  2. Weekly checkup-- this does not have to take any more than 5 minutes a day, but it helps to quickly make sure everything is in place
  3. Monthly purging---this sounds like a huge job, and sometimes it is, but the results are amazing. If your closets are anything like mine, things get rearranged, out of place, and ADDED every day. With 3 little ones and very giving people and friends, it seems like we collect more than we use.
  4. Give things away!!! I know, you just have to keep it for sentimental purposes, but, seriously, 6 of the same thing, give 5 away and keep 1 if you have to! 
  5. Find a local Consignment shop or sale and take your items and earn money from it in return. I have been consigning for almost 5 years now, and have loved it. Most of the time it helps pay for Christmas/birthday gifts, or just add to groceries, but every penny helps! This year I participated in a consignment sale and made $225! It was work, and I guess it would have been easier to shove it all in a garbage bag and give it to Goodwill, but not as much to show for it.
  6. Motivate your children or family to help you. Many hands make light work! My kids love it when mommy tells them it's time to clean their closets. They get so excited at how I am going to change it, with their ideas. Andrew often asks if we could move things into different spaces, and we try to do just that.
I could go on forever it seems, but keep it simple! I don't have all the time in the world, if that's what you are thinking. And, it may be a much bigger task for you, but the first time always is. Once you have a place for everything (in order) then just check it once a week and fix the out of place items.




3 comments:

  1. Molly, I don't know if this will work in your space, but here are a couple suggestions of things that work for me.
    For gloves, hats, ear muffs, etc., I use a hanging shoe organizer that hangs inside the hall closet door. The kind with the open pockets hangs flat against the door so it's not in the way, but everything is very handy to get to when needed.
    For purses, I have recently discovered that another kind of shoe organizer works for me. It hangs on the closet rod and has cubbies for shoes. (It is similar to the organizers that hang and have cubbies for clothes for each day of the week.) I stick purses in there. It takes up little space, but since it hangs vertically, it uses the space well.
    I have found these types of organizers at yard sales and Goodwill before, though the ones I currently have are nice canvas ones from WalMart that I "upgraded" to. :)
    Maybe one of these suggestions will help you or another reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to mention one of my favorite things about the organizer on the back of the door: I gave each child a row starting at the bottom so they can all reach. So now, there is no excuse for things not being put away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Laura! I have thought of using something like that. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete