Monday, April 18, 2011

Do you have yucky carpet?

One of the most dreaded chores is scrubbing carpets! We have lived in our home for 5 years now and have yet to have the money to purchase new flooring. We wished we could have done it before moving in, but I am sure you know what it's like when you have a tight budget...and carpet is not the cheapest thing in the world. So, I have lived with it thus far, and I will continue to do so until maybe next year's tax return! Unfortunately, with the traffic that comes through our home it has added the stains, wear, and tear to our flooring. So, I figured out a few solutions to sort of help it look a bit better. I found a stain remover powder called Sun Oxygen cleaner from Walmart. I love it!!! I've been using it in our laundry too, and it has certainly helped cut those marvelous stains out of our clothing. I dumped a small amount onto the huge stains on our living room floor and let it sit for about a half hour. Then I grabbed a handy bucket of warm water and rag and sat down and scrubbed! It didn't take much and voila, the stains were gone or at least almost gone! I have tried the steam cleaners and all that stuff, but I think our carpet is beyond getting clean without the extra elbow grease. I remember my mom often grabbing her bowl of hot water, soap, and vinegar and scrubbing our family room floor. It always seemed to help eliminate the smells and spills that 9 kids made possible. I am so thankful for a momma who taught her girls to appreciate the little things and to do one's best to take care of them no matter the value! My home is filled with low value items, but I love our home and so thankful for a cheap cleaner to help take care of our nasty carpet. So, what is your solution to those stains and wear given to your carpet or furniture? How often do you have to scrub those used spaces? Glad summer is here and so glad I have 6 chubby little feet that will make scrubbing a little harder, but those little hearts, hands, and feet make it so worth being a mommy!