Saturday, March 3, 2012

Lil' bit of Olive Garden

A few weeks ago I was terribly craving Olive Gardens soup, Zuppa Toscana! But, I really didn't feel like it was fair to ask my hubby to take the whole family out for a fancy supper just to get mommy a bowl of soup! Plus, we had already been out to eat the night before, so couldn't swing it! Alas, I had to figure something out and figured it couldn't be all that hard to make it myself. Thus began some google recipe searching. I printed out about 6 different recipes for it and started analyzing the different ones creating my own from the hodge podge of ideas. I was a little nervous, but figured if we didn't like it, the result was easy----don't make it again.

However, it was, on the contrary, better than Olive Garden's!!! I absolutely devoured 2 bowls and wanted more, but figured I'd wait til my tummy lost those two bowls and could start again! (: I probably wouldn't put as many greens in as I did, but of the 6 recipes combined I had already dropped the quantity of greens, so figured it would be perfect. It was heavenly, just saying! And, it totally fixed my random craving!

Zuppa Toscana
1 lb. italian sausage (brown and drain)
4 large red potatoes sliced thinly
1 large onion chopped
2 minced garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups kale or mustard greens
2 cans chicken broth
1 qt. water
1 cup heavy whipping cream----I make my own and like it better (cheaper too)  melt 1/3 c. butter and pour 3/4 milk into butter. Makes 1 cup heavy cream
 Salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, and season salt to taste

Place onion, potatoes, broth, water, and garlic in pot, and cook on medium heat until potatoes are done. Add Sausage and seasonings and simmer for another 10 minutes. Turn to low heat and add greens and cream. Heat through and serve.

So, if you are a fan of Zuppa Toscana, make it at home. It is fairly easy, not very expensive, and you don't have to tip anyone to bring it to your table! Serve with homemade bread-sticks and watch it disappear!