01 09 10
expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Chicken noodle soup

So after a crazy schedule with revival last week and many added other things our home was hit with the flu. Well, at least it appeared that way. Whenever that happens chicken noodle soup is the first thing this mommy whips up for our gang. I ended up making an extra huge pot so I could send some to church on Sunday for our sweet college kids since we didn't want to infest them with our mini "epidemic."


I haven't ever been one to stick by recipes or even write my own concoctions down, but this is fairly easy and you really cannot mess it up. I figured I could jot down what I do and make it available to others who too may be under the weather!

 Soup for the Sick

Large pot or you can just do less of everything and cut your pot size in half! (o:
Fill it about 3/4 full with hot water making sure to measure the water before. This will help in determining how many chicken bouillon cubes to put in! Like I said, I don't measure just guess, sorry! I don't typically use chicken broth due to expense, but hot water and bouillon cubes work great! I think I ended up putting in about 9 or 10 cubes. Simmer while you prepare veggies

1 bag frozen corn (can use canned too, we just don't do canned stuff much anymore)
1 bag frozen peas
Green beans
5-6 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1-2  bag carrots, chopped (can use frozen if you desire)

Honestly, you can add as many veggies as you want. I love it hearty and like more substance to my soup, so just keep adding until you want to stop.

Chop up about 6 chicken breasts (raw) into chunks (I usually just pull them out of the freezer and defrost them for a few minutes to make it easier to cut).

I usually chop my carrots, celery and onion first and dump them in the pot so they can simmer for awhile. When everything else is ready dump in and let simmer for however long it takes to get your veggies tender. Your chicken will cook in the same amount of time.

Season with basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and a  little celery salt

When it has simmered for awhile (making sure chicken is done) taste the broth and add more cubes or seasons if needed! Pour in noodles 10 minutes before serving

You can also change your broth to being creamier by adding  cream and cream of chicken soup!
Enjoy with crackers or bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment