Thursday, June 21, 2012

Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie!

Do you remember this phrase when you played hide ‘n seek as a child? When we counted we would always shout out, “Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie, who’s not ready holler I!” Silly I know, but I was trying to teach that one to our kids the other day when we played. Let’s just say, they gave me the craziest looks!

This post has nothing to do with apples or pumpkin pie, but come fall I am sure you will see posts regarding those too. I knew that peach season was rapidly approaching and I failed to get any peaches last year so I was pretty determined to not forget again this year. While I was in South Carolina visiting family last week I stopped at a little peach farm and got a half bushel. I would  love to get more eventually, but I figured a little would be better than nothing.

misc 908

Saturday morning my little angels helped mommy can peaches and make peach jelly! Thanks, Momma for teaching me how to can and growing my love for it over the years!

So, have you ever canned peaches? It is actually very easy. I know a lot of ladies who blanche their fruit first, but I didn’t do that and really never do. Guess, you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. I grew up helping my mom can and we never blanched. So, I just wait til the peaches are ripe and the skins typically peel off anyways.

Begin by preparing your jars, lids, and canner with water then start preparing your syrup. I like a light syrup since we get sugar a million other ways. So, for every 9 cups water I added 2 cups sugar. Just heat on the stove while you are peeling and cutting your peaches so it is boiled when you are ready to pour into the jars.        

Then skin your peaches and cut in quarters. misc 910

Stuff your jars with peaches leaving about an inch from the top of the jar. I actually ran out of quart size jars and had no money to run and get more, so I used some pint size since I had them.

misc 911 Once you have filled your jars with peaches, pour your syrup over the peaches leaving about 1/2 inch to the top.

 misc 909misc 912

I run a butter knife down the side of the jar to release any air bubbles, then wipe the rims and put your lids on.misc 914

Carefully place your jars in the canner (or stockpot of water) and boil for 45 minutes.

Remove and let sit in dry place until sealed and allow them to cool overnight! Enjoy!

Peach Jelly isn’t much more complicated. So, since I had already made the mess I just finished peeling and dicing up the remainder of the peaches. Leaving enough of course for a peach cobbler, peach pie, and some to eat!

For every 4 cups of diced peaches you need 5 cups sugar, 2 T lemon juice and 1 box sure jel.

I doubled this batch since I had enough so ended up pouring 8 cups peaches, 4 T lemon juice and 2 boxes sure jel into my saucepan. Stir very well and let it come to a roaring boil (boiling doesn’t stop while you are stirring)

Then dump in all 10 cups sugar and stir so it does not burn on the bottom. Let it come to a roaring boil and boil for 1 minute then remove from heat. Pour into your jars and can for 10 minutes! It is yummy!misc 915

For those of you who do not can, I am sorry for all the canning posts, but it has become a fun pastime and a way to save money for our family so I like to share it with my readers! Have a blessed day and thanks for stopping by to read all my ramblings!