01 09 10
expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Canning fun!

I LOVE to can!! I think that is an understatement, but I really do enjoy it! I cleaned out our freezer last week after not knowing what other project to tackle. In the process I found the 3 1/2 bags of strawberries I threw in the freezer several months ago when Aldi had them on cheap sale. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to put up a little bit of strawberry jelly since I didn’t know what else to do on that rainy day! So, off to the canning process we went. The kids had so much fun helping too. We ended up getting about 14 pints of jelly and 9 pints of pickles. Seems very miniscule, but that’s what we had enough for. I am looking forward to doing lots more throughout the summer including applesauce, peaches, peach jelly, and who knows what else!

Usually I use fresh strawberries, but honestly we have already eaten an entire can of the jelly and I could not tell they had been frozen berries.

So if you have some extra strawberries that you don’t know what to do with, here is the recipe my momma always used and the one I love the best! It’s so easy too!

You will need 5 cups berries, 7 cups sugar, and 1 box sure jell pectin mix! I actually had enough to double this recipe.

Make sure you have your jars washed out and soaking in HOT water bath. I put my lids in a small sauce pan with water and a few tsp apple cider vinegar. Have a stockpot half full of hot water and 1-2 T apple cider vinegar or regular vinegar ready for your jars. I started the heat right away because that much water takes a while to get to boiling. The vinegar helps to eliminate any weird white films on the jars and the lids, just fyi.

I started by throwing all my berries in my food processor and pureeing them for the most part. I did leave some chunks in just because I love chunky jelly. After you have measured out exactly 5 cups berries pour them in a pot and turn on high adding your pectin mix in too! Let it come to a roaring boil that does not stop when stirring (make sure you stir constantly)! Add your 7 cups sugar all at once and stir quickly making sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom. Let this come to a boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.misc 842

Remove from heat and scrape off the foam from the top. misc 841

Then pour into your hot jars, wiping the drips off the inside and outside of lids. Screw rings on and place carefully into your boiling stockpot. misc 843

Boil for 10 minutes and remove from pot, placing on dry place several inches from other jars. Leave overnight making sure they all seal.

misc 844

ENJOY! I have enjoyed ours on English muffins the last several mornings. Yummy and so worth the work!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know the vinegar tip - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is a ton of sugar!! :) I have only canned apple butter. Would like to try some other things but don't have a source to get them really cheap. Maybe if I find some veggies cheap I can do some canning.

    I would love to do some pickles - bread and butter/sweet pickles are my favorite. Are you going to post your pickle canning recipe? :)

    ReplyDelete