01 09 10
expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Momma’s Yeast Rolls

misc 2056

Ever love to bite into a freshly baked dinner roll with a chunk of butter and some homemade apple butter or jam? Ahh, please. Since I am watching my weight this treat for Sunday lunch was a killer for me. I wanted to eat 10 but only ended up eating 1 to keep off the pounds. I succeeded in not letting these little delicacies get to my hips and lost 3.4 pounds! Woohoo, time to get rid of some more. 

A huge key to baking your own bread and rolls is PATIENCE!!! Something that I unfortunately don’t have a great deal to offer. But, like any area in my life, God used these dinner rolls to teach me a very good lesson on Patience. I know, you are thinking, “Really, Molly, you are gonna use baking to find a spiritual application?” Absolutely I am! Don’t you find the Lord showing you His truths and convicting you in heart areas during the activities you love the most? If not, then I would run to Him and ask Him to show you what needs to change. Silly, but as I poured in the ingredients I began to think of all the times God has placed me in a mixing bowl and added pinch by pinch what He desires for me to learn. Yet, all too often I stick my mixer on high gear in order to “hurry it up” a bit resulting in losing some of those key ingredients as they fly from the bowl.  It is crucial to be patient as the Lord “kneads” us in and through the trials and paths He has chosen for us. Has God been teaching you through your cooking or cleaning?

Ok, so on to the recipe that many have asked about…

I like to double this for our company and family, but I like to give it in 1/2 batches because most only bake for a few.

3 1/2 c. AP flour

1 egg

1 Tablespoon active yeast

1 1/4 c. milk

1/8 c. sugar

1/4 c. honey

1/4 c. butter (NOT margarine)

1 tsp. salt

Put the milk, sugar, honey, butter, and salt in a saucepan over low heat. Use fork to stir up. Stop as soon as butter is melting (do not boil). Make sure it is warm, but not too hot to touch. Take off heat.

Put 1/2 amount of flour and the yeast into a bowl and mix together. Hollow out a hole in the middle and put your egg in the hole. Pour the warm butter mixture on top of the egg with the beater already going. Pour slowly. Mix for 2 minutes (don’t overmix). Add remaining flour and knead it together. You may need more flour and knead as you go. Once it no longer sticks to fingers place in a large bowl and drizzle a little olive oil over top (optional) and cover with a towel and place somewhere warm until doubled (this usually takes about an hour).

Preheat over to 400

Once it has doubled, punch the middle and put into small balls in glass pan or whatever pans you desire. I used the next size up from 9x13 for the double batch and a 9 in. round cake plate. Cover rolls and let double (about 30-45 minutes depending on warmth)

Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Take a stick of butter and brush the tops. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. So you mean all you're gonna give me is the recipe?!? Jk! Haha! That looks SOOOO good and makes me hungry! I can just smell them now. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Valerie, unfortunately they did not last too long! Family of 6 and 7-8 college kids fixes that really quickly!

      Delete
  2. thanks for the recipe. One day I would love to try these.m I am a horrible bread baker, though. must be that patience thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly I too am a horrible bread maker. I used this recipe on the dough only cycle on my bread machine then when it stopped I pinched off dough for rolls. Let it rise for about 30 mins but it didn't look like they rose. Any suggestions. They weren't terribly pretty but tasted fantastic.....hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you pulled it from bread machine did you let it rise? I had a bread machine but I found it was way too small and way more hassle. If it didn't rise fully (doubled entirely in size) which usually takes about an hour. Then maybe try again and pull it and stick it in a bowl with towel over and set in warm spot. Let rise an hour and then pinch into rolls. After those rise to doubled in size it should work! Hope that works for you! Bread is fickle (:

      Delete