01 09 10
expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

I need to talk—here I am, Knock knock

Ever have the above happen to you? I remember this happening hundreds of times to my mom when I was growing up. I loved having people over and loved watching how my momma handled these unexpected visits! I NEVER saw her stressed out or running through the house like a chicken with her head cut off trying to tidy things up. It was then that I realized the importance of doing the daily tasks that I mentioned here yesterday. Often she was in the midst of a huge project like stripping, sanding, or painting furniture, or re –doing floors, or homeschooling her littles, or running her daycare with 7 little souls. Guess I look back and marvel at her superpowers more and more each day! She had 9 kids in the house then to help her too, but she still does all of that now with only 3 kids still at home. She’s one amazing woman and an awesome example.
Our home is my ministry was something my momma always taught me. It was verbalized but also lived out first hand. My mom had multiple Bible studies throughout the week—expected and unexpected. You know the best part is? EVERYONE knew that they were welcome to stop by my mommas home ANYTIME!  She would always welcome them in with open arms. She never stood behind her door hoping someone would go away because she couldn’t bear to let them see her home the way it was. She wasn’t so concerned with herself and what she needed to get done, but what others needed and showing Jesus’ love toward them in any way possible. I know many of you readers have been blessed by my momma’s hospitality in one way or another and I pray that each of us start now to be hospitable to all those who enter our HOME.
So, here it is, guess because I saw this example and importance in my momma that hospitality isn’t as difficult for me. There are things that God has given you that you can do much easier than I could ever do too. I am thankful God made us different, aren’t you? Sometimes I think, man, I wish that wasn’t so hard for me, but then God reminds me that He has given me things that come a little easier for me and other things for others. I say this, because I don’t want you to compare yourself with me or think I am better---because I am NOT! Hospitality was a huge thing I learned all through my childhood and it became so important to me throughout the years. So, lest you think I’ve arrived--- uh hum…..NEVER! I have much to change and much to grow.
Wanna know a little secret? If you do those daily tasks that I mentioned yesterday your home will always be ready for a visitor. That’s not to say that your home is not lived in, and there are no toys that are being played with at that moment or your living room floor isn’t covered with coloring books and crayons with 6 little hands drawing gorgeous pictures! (That’s what mine looks like right now) But, it does mean that things are comfortable, the floors are clean, there aren’t dirty laundry piles, dribbles on the toilets, unmade beds, and more.
If you do the daily chores the drop-ins won’t create so much stress!
Another secret is COOKIE DOUGH!!
What? I know, right! Seems strange, but it is awesome. I remember my momma always having her cookie jar full for us and for whenever anyone came over. There were times that another lady would bring her 5 kids and it got a bit crazy. But, there was never a doubt that my mom wouldn’t pull out that cookie jar and hand all of us a cookie and send us out to play while she tried to encourage the lady. Those cookies became conversation pieces and open doors to great friendships. Due to the weather here, I had to compromise the full cookie jar task to being a full tupperware of dough in my fridge and one in my freezer. The humidity made my cookies too stale here, so now it wouldn’t take much to pop in a few scoops and have warm, fresh cookies for whomever pops in. It has come in handy for Sunday night fellowships too when we don’t have enough dessert or the kids want a more kid-friendly dessert.
Here’s my chocolate chip cookie recipe if you need one…
IMG_2042
Molly’s CCCs
1 c. butter
1 c. oil
2 cup brown sugar
2 cup white sugar
4 eggs
4 tsp. vanilla
6 cups flour
2 tsp. soda
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 bags chocolate chips or any flavor chips or m&ms
Cream the sugars, butter, and oil. Then, add 1 egg at a time, vanilla and then the remaining ingredients. Bake for 6-8 minutes at 375.
If you ever wanna just pop by, I’ll throw some cookies in and we can chat over coffee or let the littles play outside. I may be painting a wall, tackling a project or doing extra cleaning, but I would love to take a break and visit with you, my friend.  See you back tomorrow for a few recipes of cleaners and a few organization tips.

2 comments:

  1. I've never had this happen, but I was at a lady's house one time {while traveling for ABC} and she whipped up some 3 ingredient Peanut Butter cookies! All they have in them is 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup of sugar, and an egg...ta-da! Peanut butter cookies! Just bake them as you would a regular cookie. It only makes 6 or 8, but it is perfect for just such a situation as you've described!

    I'm enjoying this series this week, and certainly gleaning from your wisdom! Thank you! =)

    ReplyDelete