Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cinnamon Roll “secret”

cinnamon rolls
My family LOVES cinnamon rolls! And, I love them right out of the oven. It’s always a tough thing to do though making the dough and following all the steps and getting them baked all in the morning. I used to get up at 3 every morning to work at the bakery, but that was before kids and years ago. Sunday morning always seems to be the best time to enjoy cinnamon rolls. So, how do I do it?
My little “secret” is I throw them in fridge before the second rise and pull them out around 6 am Sunday morning to rise. I made my HUGE batch on Saturday night in preparation for our teens Sunday morning. It was stress free on Sunday morning other than putting them on the counter and then putting them in the oven. I even mixed up my homemade icing on Saturday night and just pulled it out of the fridge a little before the rolls came out of the oven.
This batch makes 60 rolls, so you can freeze them and do the same thing. If you freeze them just put them in the fridge the night before you plan to bake them so they thaw. Make sure you allow them to double in size. The times can vary depending on the temperature in your house, etc.
Melt 4 c. milk and 1 lb. butter in microwave.
Add 4/3 c. sugar
4 T yeast
Add 2 1/2 c. eggs slowly
2 tsp. salt
Add flour until it doesn’t stick to fingers.
When I made them Saturday I used an entire bag of flour and an additional 3 cups. Crazy! But, it was fun.
Knead the dough for 10 minutes and cover and let double. Roll out and add filling then cut and place in pans. (If you plan to freeze or refrigerate do this now) Let double again then bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Ice right away. Enjoy