Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Weekly Habit

bread

I have been making a batch of homemade bread every week and am finding that my littles are filled up much longer and LOVE sandwiches way more. And, yes, those reasons alone would motivate me to keep this up for good. Who doesn’t like a great piece of bread toasted to perfection with peanut butter atop? Might I add that when it is homemade it is 100 x’s better!!! 

Over the years I’ve tried tons of recipes including ones that I used and helped concoct while I worked at the bakery. But, they never seemed to turn out the way we liked. I’ve tried the bread machine things and put my bread machine in the yard sale last year because I hated it with a passion! Just didn’t compare doing it myself and I found it took more time and more cleanup than if I had just done it with my own two hands.

I have found my momma’s recipe to be the best and really love how it turns out EVERY time. Plus, I like to be creative throwing in bacon, cheese, garlic and parsley to make a breakfast bread. My kids favorite is the garlic parmesan and we also like to make cinnamon rolls or sticky buns with the same recipe.

Childhood Bread Recipe

Put 2 1/2 cups milk, 1 stick of butter, 2 tsp. salt, 1/2 c. sugar, and about 1/2 c. honey in a saucepan on medium heat. Allow the butter to melt slowly making sure you pull off heat when butter is almost melted. Use a fork to continue melting the butter.

In a separate bowl mix with a spoon 3 cups flour and 2 heaping Tablespoons yeast. Hollow a hole and crack 2 eggs into the hole.

Pour milk mixture over eggs with the mixer already going. Mix for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in 4-5 cups flour and work it into a ball. Add more flour if sticking to hand. Knead for 10 minutes. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled (about 45 minutes).

Punch down and put into bread pans or make into cinnamon rolls or sticky buns. Cover and let rise again.

Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes for bread (20-25 minutes for cinnamon rolls).

Enjoy! Add some homemade jelly and it makes it a yummy treat too.