01 09 10
expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Closet SOS {Day 5 of 31 of Revealing my “secrets” as a mom of 4 + time for decor & more}

image5 31seriesredirection3 It's Sunday morning and your husband is needing a shirt ironed because the one that matches the tie he wants to wear was found on the floor in the back of the closet, your son's belt is nowhere to be found, your girl's dress is too short due to a growth spurt, and you cannot find the matching knee high that you have to wear.  Do you have a similar story for a Sunday morning? These type of mornings can be somewhat avoided if we plunge into the task of CLOSET CLEANING!

“Secret” of the day--- I LOVE to organize and I want you to too!!! I know, for real? I would much rather organize something than sit on the couch and watch a movie. However, my body does sit and relax often, so no sympathy needed. I have sweet memories of getting paid to organize and clean my siblings, and yes, my parent’s closets. I loved seeing the end results. I grew up with color coordinated drawers and closets. No, I haven't the time nor sanity for that to be carried through today, but there are some organizational things that I think I have instilled in my little ones. I know many moms think, "behind closed doors nothing matters." But, really, I think if we were all honest, when your home is in order it makes life run so much more smoothly (even behind closed doors). Ever have the thought, “Oh, I hope so and so doesn’t open that drawer” or “I hope the babysitter doesn’t play hide ‘n seek with the kids tonight for fear of the avalanche that awaits the opening of that door?” IMG_2409

So, how do you go about tackling such a huge job?

Here are a few things that I do: 

  1. Find Organizational tools to help you. Whenever I am out at Goodwill, yard sales, or even at the curb, I keep my eyes peeled for the rubbermaid drawer sets, or any stackable items that could help in keeping things looking neat and tidy.  Baskets are very helpful too and can easily be found in many locations.
  2. Weekly checkup-- this does not have to take any more than 5 minutes a day, but it helps to quickly make sure everything is in place.
  3. Monthly purging---this sounds like a huge job, and sometimes it is, but the results are amazing. If your closets are anything like mine, things get rearranged, out of place, and ADDED every day. With 4  little ones and very giving people and friends, it seems like we collect more than we use.
  4. Give things away!!! I know, you just have to keep it for sentimental purposes, but, seriously, 6 of the same thing, give 5 away and keep 1 if you have to! If you don’t use it---get it out of your house. Clutter makes a home stressful. 
  5. Find a local Consignment shop or sale and take your items and earn money from it in return. I have been consigning for almost 5 years now, and have loved it. Most of the time it helps pay for Christmas/birthday gifts, or just add to groceries, but every penny helps! If you donate to Goodwill make sure you get a receipt so it helps on your taxes.
  6. Motivate your children or family to help you. Many hands make light work! My kids love it when mommy tells them it's time to clean their closets. They get so excited at how I am going to change it, with their ideas. Andrew often asks if we could move things into different spaces, and we try to do just that.IMG_3470

I could go on forever it seems, but keep it simple! I don't have all the time in the world, if that's what you are thinking. And, it may be a much bigger task for you, but the first time always is. Once you get it the way you want it it’s just a matter of keeping up with it every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment