01 09 10
expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, October 25, 2013

DIY Chalkboard {Day 25 of 31 days of Revealing my “secrets” as a mom of 4 + time for decor & more}

day25image 31seriesredirection3

Items you will need: wooden frame or wood trim that you can make into a frame, paint, Thin board, chalkboard paint, paint brush, items to mount this to the wall, wire, and chalk.

I have this big blank wall on the back of my kitchen cabinet that is the first thing that people see as they enter our home. For the first few years of living here it was my “eye sore.” Ever have one of those? I had a quilt hanging there for years, but had to change it up. I started looking for huge frames or wood trim, but never seemed to find something big enough. Then, I found a hideous gold frame at Goodwill for only $3.99.

Step 1: Find an old frame or make one from wood trim

Step 2: Spray paint or paint the frame.

When I got home I spray painted my frame a shiny chocolate brown.

Step 3: Paint your chalkboard

My husband cut down a piece of thin old board that was in the shed. I put on about 3 coats of the black chalkboard paint and let it dry.

Some just use the glass, but I have found with all my chalkboards that it is best to get a wood back in case it falls. I would hate to see glass shattered in a million pieces. It also just sets my mind at ease as I take my chalkboard down to change it up often.

Step 4: Put your chalkboard on your frame.

I just used some simple brackets with little screws. This has allowed me to remove the back and use the frame for fun pictures and such.

IMG_4241

Putting fun sayings on this board is super fun and this is really the first thing you see upon entering our home! I love my chalkboards!

This is what I did to it for Christmas last year and Summer this year.

chalkboardIMG_1826

2 comments:

  1. Love your chalkboard! I have one in my dining room. I change it out every few days or so with Bible verses. I notice your post says "chalkboards" do you have more than one? I love mine so much, and love putting the Bible verses to inspire my family, but I am wanting another to do the Holiday fun things ect. I thought maybe it would be overkill of the chalkboard if I had another ;) thanks for sharing yours!

    Have a blessed weekend!
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri,
      I do have several chalkboards through the house. Some of Bible verses on them and others just have fun word art. I love chalkboards---it's not overkill if you love it! It's your home! (:

      Delete