01 09 10
expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, October 14, 2013

If I can CAN- so can you!-{Day 14 of 31 days of Revealing my “secrets”}

Day14image 31seriesredirection3 I LOVE to can!! I think that is an understatement, but I really do enjoy it! I can often find fruit on great sale and I like to stock my freezer with it. Not just for frozen fruit but to eventually pull out and tackle some canning fun! Usually I use fresh fruits, but if you have an over-abundance of frozen fruits that you just want to use up try some canning! You will not be disappointed!

Here is the “secret” recipe my momma always used and the one I love the best! It’s so easy too!

Items needed: You will need 5 cups berries, 7 cups sugar, and 1 box sure jell pectin mix, 2 large stockpots, jars, lids, apple cider vinegar, and a small saucepan.

Step 1~Make sure you have your jars washed out and soaking in a HOT water bath. I put my lids in a small sauce pan with water and a few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. Have a stockpot half full of hot water and 1-2 T apple cider vinegar or regular vinegar ready for your jars. I started the heat right away because that much water takes a while to get to boiling. (The vinegar helps to eliminate any weird white films on the jars and the lids)

Step 2~Throw all your berries in a food processor and puree them for the most part. I do leave some chunks in ours because we love chunky jelly.

Step 3~After you have measured out exactly 5 cups berries pour them in a pot and turn on high adding your pectin mix in too! Let it come to a roaring boil that does not stop when stirring (make sure you stir constantly)!

Step 4~Add your 7 cups sugar all at once and stir quickly making sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom. Let this come to a boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.misc 842

Step 5~Remove from heat and scrape off the foam from the top.misc 841 Step 6~Then pour into your hot jars, wiping the drips off the inside and outside of lids. Screw rings on and place carefully into your boiling stockpot.

misc 843

Step 7~Boil for 10 minutes and remove from pot, placing on dry place several inches from other jars. Leave overnight making sure they all seal.

misc 844

ENJOY!

I typically double this batch so that is what I recommend. I have a 4-berry jelly we love too. This canning process is what I do for applesauce, apple butter, and more! Hope you can find some time and energy to tackle the canning “secrets” in your kitchen too. Don’t remember the last time I bought store bought jellies!

Come back tomorrow as I share some of my families favorite “secret” recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment