01 09 10
expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Keeping a clutter-free counter {Day 8 of 31 days of revealing my “secrets” as a mom of 4 + time for decor & more}

day8image 31seriesredirection3   
“Honey, where are the keys? Mom, where is my paper you were supposed to sign?” Ever have questions like that as you frantically scoured through a pile of random papers on your kitchen counter? .”I know for some this is a HUGE problem in their home and often its a struggle to find a solution. I know every home has its limitations and “junk” drawers, but there is something you can do to keep that counter free of all piles.
My “secret” is to create a home for it or get it out! Seems pretty to the point, huh? It may be to the point, but I will be honest, it takes work. Sometimes it’s easy to say, “Well, I haven’t found the perfect organizational system, or I just don’t know where to start.” Often both excuses are valid and yet I am reminded that if you really desire to de-clutter your counter you will make time to tackle the project. And, once you have found homes for everything it will be easy to keep up with it.
Years ago I cleaned a home whose counters looked like this….
messycounter
It was the hardest thing to get her kitchen looking cleaned because she didn’t want me to touch the papers and piles of junk. Her counters were the first thing people saw when they entered her home and it clearly became larger each week. After several weeks of cleaning I offered to help her tackle the pile and with her help we threw all but a tiny little stack of needed papers that she had actually “lost” and needed for bill paying situations. That example is only to say that often when you dig through junk drawers and tackle paper piles the majority of the time you throw most of it out. Why not just throw it out right when you get it and realize that it’s junk? I mean, really, how hard is it to walk over the garbage can and lift the lid or push your foot on the little lever to open the lid? Seems silly indeed, and I too have at times failed to just put that item where it belongs and it’s “thrown” in the pile of “I’ll get to those later.”
Sometimes just a basket or even slotted shelves work great to organize the atrocious paper piles. Or a file cabinet or other organizational drawers clearly marked can help ‘house’ your NEEDED papers or little items that can easily take over.
IMG_1647
I hope this week you can tackle that pile {big or small}! Find a home for it and breathe easier when you are running out the door and don’t have time to plunge into a messy pile. Keep your counters junk free, my friends.
IMG_3740
Did you miss yesterday’s post? See it here How to keep toys at bay

No comments:

Post a Comment