Friday, October 18, 2013

Popcorn “secret” {Day 18 of 31 of Revealing my “secrets” as mom of 4 + time for decor & more}

day18image
31seriesredirection3
My family and I love popcorn! But, we do not love the microwave kind at all. Guess that’s my fault since I grew up on the homemade stovetop popcorn. My momma would make a gigantic metal bowl full often.
You will need: White popcorn kernels, vegetable oil or coconut oil, small pot with lid, salt, & butter
You can use yellow popcorn, but my “secret” lies within white popcorn. I’ll be honest there is a big difference between the two in taste. white popcornStep 1: Put about 1/2 cup – 3/4 c. oil in bottom of sauce pan and place on medium to high heat. Drop 1 kernel in the oil. When that kernel pops that lets you know to move to the next step.
Step 2: Pour in kernels. I never measure (sorry). I add kernels enough that they are all covered or just above the oil. If you have too much oil and the kernels are “swimming” the popcorn will be very greasy. Place the lid on top of pot.
Step 3: Hold lid and shake pot making sure the un-popped kernels are falling to the bottom in order to continue the popping process.
Step 4: As the lid rises due to popped popcorn carefully dump the ones that have exceeded the pot into a large bowl. Put the lid back on and shake and repeat the process until the popping is complete.
Step 5: Turn off heat and place 1 stick of butter in the saucepan allowing it to melt completely.
Step 6: Pour the butter over the popcorn and stir with a butter knife or shake.
Step 7: Salt to taste.
Step 8: Invite me over and we can enjoy it together!IMG_3403
Come back tomorrow as I share some of our “secret” fall soup recipes.