Sunday, October 27, 2013

Popsicle Stick Dating {Day 27 of 31 days of Revealing my “secrets” as a mom of 4 + time for decor & more}

Day27image 31seriesredirection3What’s my “secret” to weekly dating with my hubby even with 4 children and a small budget? Popsicle sticks!

Seems silly, huh? Well, it may be for some, but we love it! I heard about this from a friend and thought, “Why not? Can’t hurt to try it.” Quite the contrary---we love it!

You will need a small jar, mini popsicle sticks, marker, something to hold your weekly popsicle stick, & creative date night ideas.

Write down a date plan on each popsicle stick and place it in the jar. Make sure you have lots of “free” dates in your jar. Here are a few of ours…

Make dinner together

Cuddle on the couch with a good book

Excersise and Smooties

DIY project

Write a song/poem together

Monopoly Deal & M&Ms

Scrabble Marathon

Settlers & Vernor floats

Candlelight Dinner

Take a walk

Chat over coffee or cocoa (he doesn’t like coffee)

Look at wedding pictures/dating

Instrument fun (guitars, banjos, etc)

Old Show & snacks

Game of Settlers

Create a new recipe

Watch a Documentary

Cuddling on the Hammock

Pizza and a Movie

Burgers & Fries

Popcorn fun

SkipBo & skittles

Chinese/Japanese Takeout

IMG_4298

Our kids go to bed at 7:30 so we just wait to “date” then. However, if it’s my turn to plan the kids often help me cook or set up stuff. They get excited about our date time too. We take turns being “in charge” each week so it doesn’t just fall on the same person to be creative and such. I have loved this aspect! My hubby is the sweetest thing ever and his creativity and fun is AMAZING.

Some of our out of home dates include…

Putt- putt Golf

Dinner out

Shooting Range

Shopping Outing

Out for ice-cream

Auction

Round of Golf

Bowling

Burgers & Fries

Dessert out

Goodwill & Mc Donalds

Last week’s date was a round of golf and we had so much fun together. I will have to say I am not the greatest  golfer, but it is something that my husband loves to do and he is a great teacher.

Make sure your activities are balanced in what each of you enjoy doing. If you chose only things you like it will not be as much fun for your spouse.

Pick a night of the week that works best for your schedule! We have Tuesdays as our nights since it tends to be the only night of the week that something isn’t going on. It helps too to not schedule other things if you have this set aside as date night!

Place your jar and weekly date somewhere where all can see so it doesn’t get forgotten! I spray painted an old scrabble tile holder to hold ours. We have it on the shelf of my baking cupboard and the weekly date stares at me all through the day. It gets me excited and it makes me think about what I will do if it is my turn.

Never stop dating your spouse! I promise you that you will not be disappointed if you attempt this mini “project.”

IMG_4297

Happy Dating!