Thursday, October 24, 2013

Reward Chart {Day 24 of 31 days of Revealing my “secrets” as a mom of 4 + time for decor & more}

Day24image 31seriesredirection3Here’s just a simple DIY reward chart that has worked awesome for my littles. Remember, my ways are not the best ways for everyone. You may do this chart and totally tweak it to meet your families needs. I thought it would be fun to share since it was an easy and very helpful DIY project.

You will need different colors of felt, hot glue gun, jiggly eyes, permanent marker, poster board or a space on your fridge, bright and fun markers for their names, helpful hands (it works better when you get your littles on board to help you make this)

Step 1: Cut out as many little circles as you want. I had the kids put a cup on top of the felt and let them trace with a black marker. They only had to do a few and then I just stacked them on top and cut out a bunch at a time.

Step 2: Draw smiley faces on 1/2 and frowny faces on the other 1/2. I tried to make sure that there was a good balance of colors too so all the pinks weren’t smiley faces, etc.

Step 3: Put a dot of hot glue on each of the eyes and let the littles put the jiggly eyes on top of the glue. Make sure you tell them to be careful since the glue is hot.

smiley faces for rewards chart

Step 4: Make a poster for your chart

behavior chart

I actually threw our poster out recently and just wrote the kids names on the freezer door. This worked better than the poster board  since it got nasty from grimy fingers and such. But, if you plan on putting the poster elsewhere I’m sure it could work.IMG_3775

Step 5: Make a pouch for your faces.

I used a piece of cardboard and some scrapbooking paper to make a little envelope that I attached to the freezer with magnets.

Step 6: Develop a system that works best for you and your littles.

I typically reward smiley faces for Extra effort in being kind, obedient, taking initiative on chores and doing things without being asked.

Frowny faces are given for disobedience and any time they are being disciplined. When a frowny face goes up a smiley face comes down.

I honestly have gone back and forth and tweaked a few things, but for the most part this way has been what works for us. I believe every child is totally different and one way may be harder for another.

Step 7: Develop a Rewards Plan

The rule we have is if the 2 older kids earn 6 smiley faces with no frowny faces they get to pick out a prize. Maddie has to get 4 Smiley faces since it is harder for her to maintain. I have a small “treasure” box of random toys, fun pens, lipgloss and other cheap fun little items. They can chose an item from the box or they can pick a popsicle stick of an activity from the jar.

IMG_4238

Hope this little chart could maybe help some of you as you teach your littles the importance of obeying and honoring.