01 09 10
expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Wooden Sign Art {Day 23 of 31 days of Revealing my “secrets” as a mom of 4 + time for decor & more}

 day 23 image 31seriesredirection3Today’s “secret” is “from the trash!”

My fall Pumpkin sign started from a few creative juices when I drove to work one night. It was dark and I was thinking of some ideas for how I was going to decorate our home for fall. I really wanted to make some cool looking sign, but didn’t want to spend ANY money. I love all the crackled signs out there, and I used to make them at my last business, but I haven’t really gotten back into all that—and it was a lot of work.

Back to the “driving to work” part of the story. As I was driving down my little shortcut to the interstate I happened to see a pile of trash on the left side of the road. Nothing huge popped out at me, but I noticed a bunch of wood, so thought I’d swing around and check. I found 1/2 of an old chipped door and right away I thought, “I’ll make my fall sign out of that!”

All you need is a piece of wood, old door, anything that you can paint letters on, desired colors of paint, paint brush, Stencils (if you need), and a bit of creative juices.

I didn’t do anything to the wood. I just grabbed my stencil kit from my craft stash and set out and stenciled the words, Apples & Pumpkins.

After the letters were complete I freehanded an arrow and a few apples and pumpkins with straw. I let it dry and then set to work on my fall mantle.

Here is a picture of last year’s mantle…

2012 fall mantle

Here is a picture of this year’s mantle…

IMG_3381

I’d have to say that one of my biggest “secrets” for finding some pretty sweet deals is to keep my eyes peeled as I venture to my destinations. You may just happen upon a huge treasure in someone’s trash that you can create into something beautiful!

2 comments:

  1. Good Morning - Love your sign. It has such great character; especially with it being a old door! Thank you for sharing :)

    Happy Wednesday!
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete