01 09 10
expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Mantle Headboard

headboard

I have had a huge desire to make an old mantle into a headboard for our bed. Needless to say, finding an old mantle for a price I could afford was nigh impossible. Actually, it was RIDICULOUS! I searched craigslist in several cities, antique stores, and more. Most of them were running for no less than $200 and some even had the price tag for $1,000. Crazy too high for my blood. But, I bathed this “silly” desire in prayer and waited and watched. I didn’t want anything fancy, but it had to be wide enough and something I could give a little TLC to make beautiful.

My momma called and asked what I wanted for Christmas. I told her I wanted a mantle, so if she wanted to give me money towards it that would be great. I kept looking and decided that I wouldn’t spend more than $50 on a mantle. Seems cheap, huh?

After a few weeks of not having any options I took a morning to walk through a few antique stores in the area with no intent on finding anything. It was a “just looking” kind of shopping adventure. After a few hours we ended up at one of my favorite antique stores… Katydid Antiques

katydid antique

I hadn’t been to this store for about 4 months and they were under new ownership and things had changed a ton. Quite honestly, I was disappointed and not really impressed at the new younger folk who seemed to run off all the best booths. Nonetheless, I asked if they had any old mantles. The owner took me next door to another section of their store that they hadn’t opened yet. In the back amidst a FULL room of junk there were 2 old and very neat mantles. One was way too short, but this one was PERFECT!IMG_4440

It appeared “perfect” but I was hesitant to ask what the price tag was. No worries, I gained composure and asked the dreaded question, “How much is this one?” His response: “I want $110 for that one and the big one is $130.” My first thought was “uggh” then I remembered that I would find one sometime and I was in no rush. I walked around it a bit more and looked at it carefully before saying, “thank you” and started walking away. The man then turned to me and asked if it wasn’t what I was looking for. I mentioned that it was exactly what I was looking for, but the price was too much for what I had to spend. He then asked how much I had and I told him that I had $50 cash and didn’t want to pay a penny more. He then looked at the mantle and then looked back at me and smiled and said, it’s yours! For real??? Pinch me now!!!! Lest you think I handed him the moola and skipped out, I wish!!! My husband has been a HUGE help to me in not making huge purchases without chatting first and praying about it. I knew that if the Lord wanted me to have this one that it would be here after I talked to Brian and after I prayed 24 hours. So, I told him that I would maybe be back the next day with the truck.

And, yes, the story has a happy ending and after a little TLC I have an antique mantle framing my bed. Best part though is that I sold my other bed frame to a friend that had planned to go to Ikea to buy the exact one. I ended up only spending $10 out of pocket for this entire project!

My husband is going to mount this to the wall now that I have it exactly where I want it and I cannot wait to fully decorate. But, for now this is as it is.IMG_4526 IMG_4664IMG_4527

Thankful for this fun find! Have you found any fun new finds recently?

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I love this idea. I know holding out, finding the perfect one for that perfect price is so rewarding. But, praying and seeking God makes a true blessing! Looks lovely :)

    Happy Tuesday,
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I also love how God answers our wants too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. amy, I actually thought, "Amy, would laugh at me for buying this ugly thing!" Miss you. It's a bit crooked right now, but I have it sitting on boxes until my hubby mounts it. I'm in love!

      Delete
  3. yay, so glad you finally found your mantel!! It looks amazing! But the pictures aren't big enough, so I think I need to come see it in person ;)

    Love how you decorated it too - so fun to have a mantel over your bed to decorate.

    ReplyDelete