01 09 10
expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Day 25- From Grandma’s, Mom’s, to Mine—secret recipe?

chicken pot pie (30)return page

Some of my favorite recipes have been handed down from generations. I have created many of my own over the years, but sometimes the best slice of home and childhood is a recipe from the past.

If you have noticed over this month I’ve shared several recipes and I intend to share many more over the next few posts. I know this hits a soft spot in some, but please don’t stop reading if you don’t agree with me. I remember the first time this happened to me… I was flabbergasted. I couldn’t believe how a grown woman would act when a simple question rang from my lips,

“I LOVE this dish, would you mind letting me write down your recipe?”

I watched her whirl around and say, “Absolutely not! That’s a family secret and you won’t ever eat it from any other place.”

It was actually quite unusual to watch for me and I was a bit embarrassed being in a large crowd. I actually wished I had never even asked. It was really sad how this lady became so crabby and uptight about a recipe. And, as a side note, it caused me to go home and try to create my own version of that recipe which we ended up loving even more.

If you make something delicious and someone asks for the recipe, why wouldn’t you share it?  I know that some recipes are “family secrets,” but really? Why not share that recipe with others who loved it enough to ask? Why not get excited that maybe hundreds of others would enjoy such a treat as your own family? You can always put your family name at the top of the recipe card if you really have to have the credit. Maybe I’m just weird that way, but I like to share---secret or not. My motto is, “If they enjoyed it and ask for the recipe give it to them with the biggest smile on your face knowing that the dish will be made to bring smiles to faces and stomachs to complete contentment.”

I love to share recipes, but for those of you who’d rather hide that recipe in the dark corners of your box, that’s totally up to you. Just be courteous in how you keep that secret or maybe don’t prepare those secret recipes so that the problem never arises. I just would rather people enjoy them in their homes too.

With all that said, I’d like to share one of our family favorites that go back a long way.

Chicken Pot Pie

2 large chickens cut and cooked til tender
Place chicken in large quart pan
Add:
4 small cans of cream of chicken soup
Salt, pepper, garlic, and sweet basil to taste
Add 2 bags of vegetable medley frozen vegetables
Heat slowly
Add 2 cups water
2 T butter

Crust:
2 cups butter
6 cups flour
3/4 c. water
2 tsp. celery salt

Roll out crust and place in large casserole pan. Save some for top crust.

When filling part is all tender and thickened, pour in crust and cover with crust leaves or full covering of top crust.
Bake at 425 for 30-35 minutes until bubbly and browned.
Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
chicken pot pie (3)

chicken pot pie (16)      chicken pot pie (20)     chicken pot pie (25)   chicken pot pie (28)       

Enjoy in the comfort of your kitchen! Hop back tomorrow for just a few of our crockpot recipe shares.

No comments:

Post a Comment