01 09 10
expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Trash Pickins

20150812_162045 

My husband is sweet about bringing me home flowers, my favorite treats (raspberries) and much more. But, sometimes his sweetness is driving by a pile of trash and seeing this “beauty” needing some major TLC and lugging it home to surprise me! If it had been me this is what I would have looked like…

8b822637202cd372c788b7f3811af0e8

Yet, instead, I walked into the garage with this beauty awaiting my creativity! I was so excited.

20150813_123545 

Now, before you get all excited for me, the whole story isn’t all amazing. You see the last few months my kids have enjoyed scaring their momma with these plastic roaches someone gave them. It’s been funny and they have enjoyed the screams and giggles when I found them amidst my clothes, dishes, and even my bed. Well, the day Brian brought my new “treasure” home this is where I found the current plastic roach…

IMG_20150812_115325

Andrew thought my reaction was the funniest thing ever and, you guessed it, I screamed and dropped the butter lid. He was so tickled about this new place and said he made sure to stick the antennas in the butter to give it a more “real affect!” Little did I know this wasn’t a great sign for the weekend.

That evening I ran to the store and when I pulled into the driveway and opened the garage I saw them… Little dark creatures scurrying about my garage floor. My heart sank and I was immediately grossed out at the thought that we had real roaches abiding in our garage. To make a long story short, it occurred to me that it was very possible that my new “treasure” is what brought these nasty little creatures onto my property. After a call to our “bug man,” a few squishings with my shoe, lots of roach spray, and a thoroughly cleaned desk there are no more critters! So, a word to the wise…make sure you thoroughly beat, scrub, and clean anything you bring home from anywhere lest you have more than your family abiding in your home.

Back to my now cleaned “treasure”~ I grabbed the sander out and sanded away several rough spots. The top and drawers were pretty nasty, but they cleaned up really well with a good dose of sanding.

20150813_141434

I grabbed some handy dandy wood filler from Lowes to fill in and smooth a few areas that the wood was knicked or the veneer had come apart. I opted for Elmer’s Wood Filler due to the recommendation of my sweet blogging friend from The Frugal Homemaker.

 wood filler

It went on so smoothly, dried quickly, and sanded down perfectly. After I was done fixing the troubled areas, I stained the top with 2 coats of dark walnut stain. The base was painted in a somewhat off-white and then minorly distressed to my liking. I decided to paint the drawers the color of our accent wall in the loft and wiped a bit of stain around the edges.

31

I haven’t decided on the hardware yet, and quite honestly, I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg on fancy hardware since this pretty thing was free! I may do rope handles, but I have time to decide. It is gracing its presence in our loft and is serving a great purpose as one of our homeschooling work spaces.

31b

What beauties have you pulled from the trash? I love walking around my house pointing out my treasures that hold some pretty cool stories.

Hope your weekend is marvelous, my readers. I am headed to speak at a large woman’s seminar in Wisconsin. I am pretty excited, nervous, and more excited. This opportunity is definitely a huge step out of my comfort zone, but I’m excited to share/teach on a subject that is near and dear to me---decorating on a budget! Looking forward to sharing a bit here on the blog in a few weeks. Oh, and, I think I’ve locked into doing the 31 day challenge again this October. I cannot wait to reveal the theme soon. Til’ next time…

2 comments:

  1. Wow that's really pretty :) I rarely do that kind of thing...I just don't have the patience to wait for paint to dry and that sort of thing ;)

    I did repaint a little table that had neared the end of it's life, put a wooden board on one side and nailed cups and a folder to it to put the children's pencils and coloring books in. I am still quite proud of myself for that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! I'm on the lookout for something similar to serve as a quiet desk where my kids can take their math work and not be distracted by the hubbub of the rest of the house :)

    ReplyDelete