01 09 10
expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, September 21, 2015

Wild Game Dinner

Some days bring us a healthy dosage of being thrown out of our comfort zone. It seems to be a bit of life lately for this blogger, mom, wife, and homeschool teacher. However, I’d have to admit that even when stretched a bit out of the realm of comfort, I always come out having learned much and enjoying the results. When my husband approached me a few weeks ago about helping him with the decorating and cooking for our church’s wild game dinner, I’ll have to admit, I chuckled! I have NEVER done anything like that. I grew up eating wild game, but to host an event centered around that…that was a new one for me. I got excited after I talked to a friend who offered to be my partner in crime.

We opted to decorate on a $0 budget! Crazy, right? Well, since it was a sportsman themed dinner we went with lots of tree cuttings, pinecones, mounts we borrowed from a local taxidermist, and hunters stash of blinds and more.

 DSC_3248

Here is our buffet table before we put the food out. The barrel typically resides in my bedroom, but I dusted it off and shoved a bunch of branches and greens in it to give some height and color to our table.

DSC_3249 

I whipped together our deer head pallet sign for just a little extra and cut a piece of wood down to make little rustic chalkboard signs for each of the game dishes.

DSC_3262               DSC_3267DSC_3269

We had a great selection of dishes: pork ribs, butterfly fried venison steaks, catfish stew, venison taco soup, buffalo stroganoff, variety of venison sausages, dirty rice, and lots of sides!

Oh, and a rabbit potpie...

DSC_3273

I had fun experimenting while making the buffalo stroganoff and rabbit potpie. This definitely was another “out of the comfort zone” when it came to cooking in my kitchen.

DSC_3256 

Our church has wonderful burlap runners for events. My sweet children wrapped the silverware and I tied them off with a piece of jute to stick with our rustic feel. DSC_3251

I made 9 of these pallet trays and stained them with various colored stains and made rope handles to serve as our centerpieces. With the help of a quart size jar, tree trimmings, and some sticks, it was complete and FREE!

DSC_3252  

Prize table…

DSC_3259

Corner display of decorations

DSC_3265DSC_3257

My husband had a hunting video playing quietly in the background. We just grabbed a crate, some tree clippings and horns to help it fit in.

It was a wild night of fun, crazy food, wonderful people, awesome prizes, and a great reason to do it again. I cannot wait to do it again next year.

Have you tried any crazy game dishes? Would love to hear about your concoctions.

3 comments:

  1. You are amazing. Everything looks perfect!

    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a theme I've never considered, but you knocked it out of the park! I LOVE your pallet trays.

    ReplyDelete