Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Creole Fried Fish with Potato Pancakes~ Day 6

Fried Fish and Potato Pancakes

landing page picture

Living in the south, my friends, has brought on a wealth of seafood. I love seafood and am thankful I have a few kids that enjoy this luxury too. My husband and 7 year old, however, are not huge fans. But, I have found a few ways they love. Baked salmon is our favorite, but when my little man goes fishing and brings home buckets of fish there has to be a few other ways to fix them.

Typically I just throw some flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a bowl and dredge the fish through it and fry. But, sometimes spicing it up a bit adds variety and way more flavor.

 Fried Fish (2)

When I thaw my fish I put it in a 9x13 and cover with milk. Usually it just sits in the fridge this way. I find that it helps with the fishy taste and it holds the breading or flour mix much better.

Fried FishFried Fish (3)

We don’t do much fried food in our home, but every once in a while it is fun. I just use my skillet because it is less mess and cooks evenly.

Creole Fried Fish

1 1/2 pounds thin white fish
2 cups milk
3/4 c. Flour
3 T Creole Spice mix, recipe below
1 tsp. salt
6 T vegetable or olive oil
Lemon wedges, for garnish
Fry 4-6 minutes or until fried to your liking

Creole Seasoning

1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. cayenne
2 tsp. paprika
1-1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. cumin

Oh, and yesterday’s ginormous pot of mashed potatoes will never go to waste. But, rather than being boring and microwaving leftover potatoes, it’s fun to make it a spectacular side dish. Potato pancakes are an easy way to boost the leftovers. I just added a bit of garlic, parmesan cheese, and a dash of parsley. Put a little butter in a skillet and pat pancake shaped potatoes into your skillet frying to desired crispiness.

  Potato PancakesPotato pancakes (2)

Enjoy your own little bit of Friday Fish fry even on a Wednesday!

Fried Fish and Potato Pancakes