01 09 10
expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Kung Pao Pork, Rice, & Egg Rolls~ Day 24

Chinese Supper (2)

My Kids and I LOVE Chinese. Going out for Chinese though can get pricey with a family of 6. So, why not make it at home? I love it better too, since I can control what ingredients we use. Despite the deep fried part, it can be good, right?

landing page picture

A big skillet of Kung Pao Pork or chicken and a large pot of rice can fill anyone’s belly.

Chinese food

Kung Pao Chicken or Pork

2 T sesame oil or olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb chicken or pork cut into pieces
3/4 c.water
3 T soy sauce
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp.brown sugar
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper, optional
1 large bell pepper chopped
1 cup snow peas
2 T chopped peanuts (garnish, if desired)

Heat oil and add onion til’ soft. Add garlic and meat. Combine water and next 5 ingredients stirring until sugar dissolves. Add water mixture to pan and bring to boil. Add pepper and snow peas and cook until sauce thickens.
Sprinkle with peanuts. Serve with hot rice.

Kung Pao Pork

Egg rolls would have to be my weak spot when it comes to the Chinese food. And, my son, is a huge fan too! You can buy the handy dandy wonton/egg roll wrappers in the produce refrigeration aisle at the grocery store.

 Egg Rolls

I browned up some pork sausage (you can use ground turkey, chicken, or even shrimp too), and dumped in about 2 cups of cabbage mix with the carrots, etc, and 1/2 of a chopped onion. Egg Rolls (2)

After adding the remaining spices, I filled my egg roll wrappers like an envelope. There is a great picture on the back of the package of wrappers to help if you need it.Egg rolls (3)

We don’t deep fry often at all, but I just heated up the oil in my little pan and popped these in until they were golden and crispy. Drain on a paper towel so the grease goes away.

egg rolls (4)  

Homemade Egg Rolls

1 lb ground pork, chicken, turkey, or shrimp
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Pinch of onion powder
1/2 chopped onion
2 cups Shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
2 oz. shredded carrots
8 egg roll wrappers

Wrap and deep fry!

And, no Chinese food is complete without a yummy Crab Rangoon. They are my momma’s and my favorite!

Crab Ragoons

Crab Rangoons

1 6 oz can crabmeat
6 oz cream cheese
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1 dash white pepper
Wonton wrappers
1 beaten egg to seal wrappers
Frying oil

I mixed all the ingredients together and then put a small spoonful on my wonton wrapper. Brush a bit of beaten egg along edges to stick as you close.

Crab Ragoons (2)

Crab Ragoons (3)

Ready for frying!

 Chinese at Home

Yummy!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy. You work hard for your family.

    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your recipe posts so much!! I am also a home cook who tries feed my family of 5 on a budget, yet keep them full and satisfied. Your recipes never disappoint! Thanks for sharing them! :) ~Beverly

    ReplyDelete