Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Kitchen table complete

Last summer I traded one table for another! It was an easy decision due to our growing family. The previous kitchen table was more square and definitely took up way more space in our kitchen. Plus, the long bench did not fit so there was no room to grow. I pretty much just cleaned it up really well and put it into daily use with my hungry littles.


However, almost every time my husband and I sat down we'd comment on the poor job the previous owner did on the sanding and staining. I would not say I am an expert at all, but I have been taught by my patient husband how to let the sander do the work and not make crazy divets in the wood.
I knew it was going to be a major chore to get all the stain off and then sand it down til it was smooth again. Not to mention the staining process and more. So, when do you suppose I'd attempt to work on this? The week before Revival.... before tons of company....when we needed a reliable kitchen table the most. 😂
That's how projects happen around these parts. Oh, and the stool makeovers that I posted recently, well, let's just say they were in the garage at the same time! 😕 My kids and husband totally laughed at my not thinking this crazy process through before diving in head first.

I used Citristrip to help make getting the poly and stain lifted from the table top easier. It actually does most of the work for you.

When I had the stain removed I used our sander to sand the top down smoothly in every spot. This process took the longest due to how uneven it had been done the first time.

I typically use pieces of old rags to wipe stain onto surfaces, but with the size of the table and really wanting it semi-perfect 😀 I decided to use a reusable stain sponge! I will never use a rag again! It was so easy, less mess, perfect coverage, and I just threw it in a bucket with paint thinner to use again. I did a total of 4 coats of stain, lightly sanding after each one.



I used the minwax wood finish dark walnut stain for my stain and the minwax fast-drying Polyurethane clear gloss for my finish. Two coats of the poly was perfect. And, I used the sponge for this step too.






I am very happy with the finished product and don't find myself rubbing my hand over the uneven parts anymore. I still notice every scratch that occurs, but that comes with the territory of our crazy home.😜


 I repainted the base with a white chalk paint and did a minor distressing on the legs.


The chairs will be redone as soon as I get around to it. Definitely will be a tough job with all those round spindles.

.